I found Beijing to be fairly clean even in the hutongs. Their monuments and tourist sights are also kept quite clean. One major vice among many Chinese I found was spitting in public areas which typically included a very noisy clearing of the throat! Older and middle aged people are typical culprits. I saw a very nicely dressed woman in a skirt and knee high boots doing it! Of course, coming from India, this is not an unfamiliar sight for me.
Switching gears, Beijing is a shopper’s heaven! Especially if you want Chinese silks, pearls, jade and other traditional items, there are quite a few venues here. They also have fake namebrand bags, watches, shoes and leather boots by the piles here. The Yashow market, the silk street market, Qianmen Dashilar market etc.. I ended up visiting the Silk Street market a total of 6 times! I wanted to get some Chinese clothes made which required me to visit, to choose and measure, to get fitted, to pick up the dress and so on. By the way, I have to put in good word for the Chinese tailors. They are the best in the world! Compared to the Indian dress makers that give you soooo much hassle and then end up screwing up, these guys were great! I’m absolutely impressed by the attention to detail and perfection of stitching!
Did I already mention that you can find pearls and jades by sackfuls here? And it is also quite cheap. They may be cultured pearls but they are real pearls. There are many shades, white, black, purplish black, greenish black, different shades of pink and so on. These markets where you buy all these goods are quite a scene. Almost all the sales people are women and you have to bargain with them. My Chinese friend’s recommendation was to start at 20% of the asking price.
4 comments:
haha, makes me want to haggle with chinese shopladies now :-)
Subway system sounds like the bombay train system.
Yeah, but it wasn't as fun as the Russel Peters's show where the Indian man goes to buy a watch in the Chinese man's shop. Have you seen it?
No, havent seen that act of Russel Peters. Will look for it on youtube!
When you gonna post on brasil?
Post a Comment