Thursday, July 23, 2009

Goals

"I'm sorry you feel bad about not meeting your goals-- what I would suggest is that you begin meeting your goals, in order to feel better." - Random Quote by someone.

What's missing here is 'the setting of goals' itself. I often find myself setting random goals or not setting them at all because I get confused by all the choices available to me. If I do this, I can't do this other thing but if I do this other thing then there's this third and the first thing I'll need to reconsider etc.. etc..sort of like a dog chasing it's own stupid tail and going in circles! How do people deal with this question anyway? I'm definitely not one of those people who are driven by a passion for a certain thing. I have to search long and hard for it.

After trying for years, I've decided to not have any substantial, meaningful goals at all and see how far I can take this goal-less state. I do have short term, easy to meet goals set for now like the triathlon and it seems to be working as far as keeping me fairly happy. But I know I'll need to pursue this question of meaningful, satisfying, long term goals at some point. Postponement is the easiest strategy to follow for now, it seems.

4 comments:

Tiny Seal said...

Setting goals is not going to make much of a difference anyway. There are so many factors out of your control on meeting life goals that when you actually meet them, only a small percentage of it is your intent. Like sometimes you feel universe is conspiring to make things go your way or oppose everything you want.

Unawoken said...

I think some people can get by by setting goals and meeting them, and then setting goals again.

I think that this makes sense if you are convinced about your primary motivators, and that they are absolutely important. Then you break them down into sub tasks and goals.

If you are unconvinced of the motivations, then setting goals will appear pointless and artificial.

Justuju said...

Tiny Seal: You are right in most cases there are too many factors out of our control. However, I'm not convinced that setting goals have no use at all. One can at least set a goal for oneself, don't you think? For example: I will learn a new thing or be better with my interactions etc. Also, without goals, we can't plan for anything. I know I'm sort of contradicting my own blog post but you can tell that even though I've temporarily suspended setting goals, I'm probably not really sure of not doing it at all.

Justuju said...

Unawoken,
You bring up a good point about motivations. Perhaps that's my problem, I may not be doing enough to work out my motivations. I think I need to train my mind first to separate out emotions and other clutter to be able to narrow down to the motivators.